Saturday, December 30, 2017

Guiding Star 2018 #4: The Shift and The Slogan

How are you doing? Is Guiding Star driving you nuts? Ot is it energizing you? You are standing at the cusp of the biggest year of your life. One simple step continues the journey. That’s exciting to me! It is your choice.

At the end of today's exercise, you will be halfway to your Guiding Star plan. Halfway is huge. I find once I'm halfway into a project, it is much harder to give up. Why give up when I've done so much work? I hope that is true for you as well.

Today, you will create a slogan. This slogan will live with you this year. This slogan will begin a paradigm shift in your existence.

Huh? Alright, time for definitions. A slogan is a short and striking or memorable phrase; a motto. If you put your slogan on a Tshirt or a coffee mug, you'd be proud of it. Unlike some of the previous exercises, the slogan you create in this exercise will appear in your final Guiding Star plan.
A paradigm shift is a fundamental change in approach or underlying assumptions.That's right, a simple slogan is going to guide you through a remarkable transformation. If you let it.

Okay, so I have to be honest with you. Every year when I get to this exercise, I feel like I fail. I feel like I'm not very good at creating slogans that actually guide me to an honest paradigm shift...or at least that's what I think (guess I need a shift there). Yet when I look back at the paradigms I have crafted for myself, I see a HUGE change in my assumptions about my own self.

I am telling you all of this so you aren't frustrated or surprised by the challenge of this exercise. It's okay to be frustrated. It's okay to be lost. Feel free to ask for support. This is where you'll really appreciate your Buddy.



The Shift and The Slogan Exercise

Materials: For this exercise, you will need something to write on or in. A journal, a computer, or scratch paper - doesn't matter. The results of today's exercise will be seen by your Buddy.

Time: Start with 15 minutes. Don't be surprised if you need much more time for this exercise. This exercise usually takes me 2 hours over the course of a week. I like to ponder it over a number of days.

Look back at the list of deep messages you cultivated during yesterday's exercise. Choose one that calls to you. Hint: it will probably be at the top of the list.

Craft it into a brief positive phrase that describes what you want life to be about in 2018. It's unlikely that your slogan will address everything in your life you wish to transform. Be willing to choose one simple, but powerful focus.

Example:
Persisting works becomes: Persistence is my magic OR For best results, practice persistence daily.

Failing sucks becomes: Failure IS a glorious option OR Success and Failure: Two sides of the same coin OR Embrace failure.

Write down as many options as you can. Get them out of your head and onto the paper. Just write, don't edit. Feeling stuck? Say your slogans out loud. You'll hear the ones that work. Another option is to walk away, but come back later!

When you have 1 - 3 that work for you, show them to your Buddy. See if your Buddy finds them as powerful as you do. Are they short? Are they positive?

One of my favorite creative souls, Ashley Kerns, created this slogan:



Always remember:
Positive works
Keep it brief
Feeling stuck? Starting January 4, 2018, one-on-one assistance is available at the discounted rate of $30/hour. This offer expires on February 1, 2018. (Click here to schedule a session).


No comments:

Post a Comment